As an e-commerce entrepreneur or blogger, it is important that you do everything you can to make your website known. Most entrepreneurs rely on paid marketing tactics to increase traffic to their website.
However, you can use SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to attract potential customers organically to your business. We’ve created this article to help entrepreneurs to understand importance of meta-description and help them to create your own compelling meta-descriptions.
What is a Meta Description?
A meta description is a piece of text that summarizes the contents of a page of up to 160 characters. Each time you type a search query into Google, a Search Engine Results Page (SERP) is displayed. On this SERP you will find various results related to your search query. Below we have placed an image showing an excerpt from a SERP for “k4Fashion”.
Here you will notice that there are two main features to consider. The first is the blue text you see in the image above. It is called the “Title tag”. The function of the Title tag is to display the title of the page. Below is the meta-description, which has a simple function: you can drag visitors from search engines to click on your link.
How to write a great meta description
Here are few tips that you should consider while writing meta description.
You’ll Also Like
- You should use 160 characters for your meta descriptions, but it is not tight rule, i.e. if your description is 161 characters, don’t waste time in trimming it.
- Specify your primary keyword if it is naturally possible.
- Make sure you convey value to your valuable reader.
- Add call-to-action, i.e. “Must Read”
- Write in active voice.
- Make sure your descriptions match your content. Do not artificially attract the user to click on your link.
- Note that meta-descriptions may be truncated when they appear in the search. So use the first 120 characters to deliver your most important message.
- Make sure each page on your site has a unique meta description. Do not use the same description on multiple pages.